U.S. Embassy Yerevan reminds U.S. citizens to maintain your security awareness during this holiday season. Large holiday gatherings are attractive targets for criminals and terrorists. While there are no specific threats against the Embassy or Americans in Armenia, we encourage you to review the Europe Travel Alert.
During the holidays there will likely be an increase in intoxicated persons on the streets, raising the potential for accidents and confrontations. Do not drink and drive. Plan ahead by assigning a designated driver or take a taxi. More individuals operate vehicles under the influence of alcohol around New Year’s. Drive defensively, provide reaction time for unexpected actions by potentially intoxicated drivers or pedestrians, and be extra cautious when crossing streets or operating a vehicle at night. Do not confront intoxicated individuals trying to get your attention or verbally accost you.
Drink responsibly. Exercise heightened vigilance, use the buddy system, and be aware of who is around you. Individuals traveling alone, especially those intoxicated, are easier targets for assault and robbery. Lock car doors and close windows in parking areas, and do not leave valuables in plain sight in your vehicle.
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Europe Travel Alert, and Armenia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Yerevan, located at 1 American Avenue, tel. 10-46-47-00 and fax 10-46-47-42. The Consular Section is open from 9:00 a.m. until 6.00 p.m., with time reserved for U. S. citizen services from 2:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for official U.S. Embassy holidays. For more information, see the Embassy’s website. For after-hour U.S. citizen emergencies please call (374-10) 49-44-44.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.