Travel and Health Alert - U. S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras - (March 15, 2020)
Event: The Honduran government announced all borders (air, land, and sea) will be closed as of 11:59 pm Sunday, March 15, 2020 for a period of seven days. Travelers should check with individual air carriers to confirm flight options beyond that date and those with existing itineraries should reconfirm their departure details. Travelers with health concerns are encouraged to communicate with air carriers directly.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk if exposed to COVID-19.
The Embassy is closely monitoring events and will provide updates as necessary.
The American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa will only provide services on an emergency basis due to the enactment of a red alert by the President of Honduras prohibiting public and private events of 50 or more participants.
If you are in need of emergency assistance, please call 2238-5114 ext 4400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The government of Honduras has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be placed into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of Covid19honduras.orgfor additional information on these new measures.
CDC has issued a Level 2 Travel Notice.
Visit the local government COVID-19 website (Covid19honduras.org) for updated information.
Actions to Take:
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
· For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the
CDC’s latest recommendations.
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
· Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
· Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://hn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in Honduras.
· Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
· U.S. Embassy Tegucigalpa, Honduras:
Telephone: +(504) 2238-5114
After-hours telephone: +(504) 2236-8497
· State Department – Consular Affairs:
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Honduras Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.