Alert – U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania (March 22, 2020)
Event: The Romanian Minister of Interior Marcel Vela announced Military Ordinance 2, which takes effect March 22 at 10 p.m. local time. Retail establishments, with the exception of pharmacies, establishments that sell food or veterinary products, and cleaning services are closed. A curfew is in place between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. Individuals are to limit movement from their homes, except for work that cannot be performed remotely, to obtain essential goods and healthcare that cannot be postponed, to care for children and the elderly, and for short trips near home for physical activity. Gatherings larger than 3 people have been banned.
Non-Romanian citizens are prohibited from entering the country after the ordinance takes effect except as part of a well-defined transit itinerary, with some exceptions, including for diplomats. Transit corridors to maintain freight will also be allowed. Visit the website for additional information on these new measures https://www.mai.gov.ro/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Ordonan%C8%9Ba-militar%C4%83-nr.-1-2020-m%C4%83suri-de-prima-urgen%C8%9B%C4%83-Decret.pdf
Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
Please see attached unofficial translation of this ordinance.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel agency regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania
B-dul Dr. Liviu Librescu, nr 4-6
Section 1, 014118, Bucuresti
Embassy website: ro.usembassy.gov
State Department - Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Romania Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter