Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana (June 1, 2020)
Event: Extension of Ghana Border Closing and Easing of Some Public Gathering Restrictions
On May 31, 2020, President Akufo-Addo extended the closure of Ghana’s borders (land, air, and sea) to human traffic until further notice.
Easing of Some Restrictions on Public Gatherings:
In his speech (full remarks can be viewed here), the president outlined a phased easing on some public gatherings to occur over the next month:
· Beginning June 5, restaurants may reopen with appropriate social distancing precautions, and conferences, workshops, weddings, and private burials will be permitted with a maximum attendance of 100 persons.
· Religious services may take place at 25 percent attendance, or a maximum of 100 attendees, beginning June 5.
· Junior and senior high schools and universities will reopen for final year students on a phased schedule starting June 15. Final year university students are to report to their universities on June 15. Final year senior high school (SHS 3) students and SHS 2 Gold Track students must report on June 22, and final year junior high school (JHS 3) students must report on June 29.
· Large sporting events, political rallies, festivals, and religious events remain suspended until July 31. Nightclubs, bars, beaches, and cinemas will also remain closed during that time.
The Minister of Health’s directive on wearing facemasks in public is still in effect. All U.S. citizens should continue to follow Government of Ghana health directives, limit their movements to essential errands, and practice social distancing.
Ghana has confirmed over 8,000 COVID-19 cases, with the majority of new cases due to community transmission. If you believe that you or someone you know has been exposed to coronavirus or is showing symptoms of the disease, call the Ghana Health Service at 050-949-7700 or 055-843-9868 to learn about testing locations. The Ghana Health Service also maintains a COVID-19 information website with useful information.
The U.S. Embassy in Accra is aware that there are U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents who are still interested in a U.S. Government chartered repatriation flight to the United States. While we continue to explore every option to bring Americans home, the Embassy does not have any additional repatriation flights scheduled currently. All U.S. citizens in Ghana should prepare to remain in Ghana until commercial air travel resumes.
All U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents who are interested in a potential chartered repatriation flight to the United States must complete the online request form available here. If you have already completed the form, DO NOT submit a new one. Please do not email the Embassy to confirm receipt of your request. We will contact potential passengers if and when space on additional flights becomes available. Unless you receive an email from the U.S Embassy in Accra, using an email address ending in @state.gov providing specific instructions, please do not come to the Embassy or go to the airport.
Actions to Take:
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security, travel, and health updates.
· Review the President of Ghana’s latest speech announcing the extended border closure and phased easing on public gatherings.
· To learn what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC's latest recommendations.
· Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
· Visit our U.S. Embassy in Accra's website on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ghana.
· Visit the Department of Homeland Security's website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
· Visit Ready.gov for a list of suggested supplies to have on hand.
· U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
+(233) 30-27-41-000 (after hours)
No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd., Cantonments, Accra
P.O. Box GP 2288
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook