Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana (4/23/2020)
Event: COVID-19 Travel Permits Online and Repatriation Information
The Government of Botswana announced that those in need of movement permits during the state of emergency may apply online at https://www.gov.bw/.
Those who wish to leave their homes for all purposes must get a travel permit from the Government of Botswana.
- Enter your personal details and contact details of two household members.
- Choose your category of permit.
- You will be notified by SMS of approval or denial.
- If denied, do not re-apply until the next business day.
- You may have one permit at a time and only use the approved permit for its intended use.
There are currently no commercial flights, special flights or government charters available. Be prepared to shelter in place until commercial flights resume or borders open, which could be several months.
U.S. citizens who remain interested in returning home should contact us at the following link and fill out the form carefully, then submit:
If you are travelling with others, you must complete the form for each person in your group. Entering your data into this form will add you to a list to get separate emails with flight information and logistics. If you have already completed this form, please do not complete it again. If you have previously completed the form and no longer wish to depart Botswana, please contact us at ConsularGaborone@state.gov so we can remove you from the list.
In the meantime, please do not forget to register in STEP for the latest alerts and information from the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone at https://step.state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Call 997 for instructions from the Government of Botswana if you think you have symptoms of COVID-19.
U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444