Guinea – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution
The Department of State renewed its Travel Advisory for Guinea on February 13, 2020. The Department advise travelers to exercise increased precautions in Guinea due to elections and civil unrest.
Country Summary: Legislative elections and a constitutional referendum vote are scheduled for March 1, 2020. Demonstrations occur frequently throughout the country and are expected to increase before and after the balloting. Protests are sporadic and unplanned, making it difficult to predict the size, route, or level of violence or congestion that may occur. Recent demonstrations throughout Middle Guinea, which includes Labe, Mamou, Pita, and Dalaba, have been particularly violent.
Any demonstration may turn violent, resulting in injuries and even fatalities. Demonstrators may attack vehicles that attempt to pass through or around the protests, resulting in serious injuries and vehicular damage. Criminals are known to take advantage of the resulting traffic congestion to rob drivers, passengers, and pedestrians. Uniformed security forces may also extort drivers and passengers during these incidents.
Read the Safety and Security section on the Country Information page.
If you decide to travel to Guinea:
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Guinea.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations.
- Review the Traveler’s Checklist
U.S. Embassy Conakry, Guinea
Email address: ConakryACS@state.gov
State Department - Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Guinea Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter