Event: The Embassy has directed personnel to avoid the Masaya highway in Managua (NIC-4) from Centroamérica traffic circle to Plaza de las Victorias due to a planned pro-democracy march at 2:00 p.m. today, April 17, 2019. In addition, due to the one year anniversary of the commencement of sociopolitical unrest in Nicaragua, and the increased possibility for demonstrations for the remainder of the week, the Embassy has restricted the movement of its personnel on Friday, April 19, 2019. Additional demonstrations may occur in Managua or elsewhere in Nicaragua with little or no notice. Please monitor local media for updates, and remember that violence may break out at any demonstration.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations and leave the area immediately if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not participate in demonstrations.Foreigners, including U.S.-Nicaraguan dual nationals, risk arrest or expulsion if they participate in protests.
- Do not attempt to drive through large groups or barricades encountered on the street.
- Monitor local media for updates. Radio Corporación and Channel 10 can provide the most updated news. Online media including Confidencial, Articulo 66, and La Mesa Redonda are also useful resources.
- Please note the Department of State has issued a Travel Advisory urging U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Nicaragua due to civil unrest, violent crime, and limited healthcare availability.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.