Event: There is an outbreak of Monkeypox in Nigeria, resulting on over 100 confirmed cases and several deaths. On October 18, The Center for Disease Control (CDC) in the United States issued a Travel Notice for Monkeypox in Nigeria. Additionally, theNigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) reports that three cases of Monkeypox were diagnosed in the U.K. and Israel in travelers with recent travel history from Nigeria which began in September 2017.
Actions to Take:
· Visit CDC’s website on Monkeypox.
· Take necessary precautions described on the CDC’s website to avoid infection
· Seek immediate medical care OR contact a doctor right away.
· Monitor local media and NCDC website for updates.
· Visit the CDCTravelers Health Page.
· Consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for country health advisories, or call CDCat 800-232-4636 or 404-639-3534.
· U.S. Embassy inAbuja, Nigeria
+(234) 9 461-4328
+(234) 9 461-4000 (after hours)
· U.S. Consulate inLagos, Nigeria
+(234) 1 460-3600
+(234) 1 460-3400 (after hours)
· State Department - Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
· Nigeria Country Information
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.