Location: Southern (Sotavento) Islands, Cabo Verde
Event: The National Hurricane Center has issued an advisory regarding a potential tropical cyclone expected to reach the southern Cabo Verde islands during the evening and night Friday, August 31, 2018. There is a high chance of heavy rains, especially on the islands of Santiago, Fogo, and Brava. The system could produce high rainfall accumulations across the southern/Sotavento Cabo Verde Islands. These rains could produce life-threatening flash floods. Winds associated with tropical storm conditions are expected in the southern Cabo Verde Islands later today and tonight.
Actions to Take:
· Seek secure shelter in preparation for the storm.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Avoid driving at night as road conditions may be hazardous.
· Ensure that you have an adequate supply of food and water.
· Prepare for possible power outages.
· Prepare for the possibility of delayed or cancelled flights and ferry transport.
U.S. Embassy Praia
Rua Abilio Macedo 6
Praia, Cape Verde
Phone: (+238) 260-8900
Embassy website: https://cv.usembassy.gov/
After hours emergency line: (+238) 991-3325
State Department - Consular Affairs
See Cabo Verde Country Information
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow U.S. Embassy Praia on Facebook and Twitter