Location: Indonesia, Countrywide
Event: Crime and traffic accidents tend to increase during the month of Ramadan and the Idul Fitri holiday period. During this time, Police will increase their presence at popular gathering places such as tourist sites, transportation hubs, malls, etc.
Recent attacks against churches and police remind us that terrorists may strike with little or no warning, targeting police stations, places of worship, hotels, bars, nightclubs, shopping areas, and restaurants. Police continue to conduct aggressive operations against terrorists, including in the days leading up to and including Ramadan.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Hoax alerts have circulated since the terrorist events of May 13, 2018. Monitor reputable local media for official news updates and do not forward unverified reports that may be false.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists or Westerners.
- Keep a low profile.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Always carry a cell phone as a means of communication.
Don’t Become A Victim of Crime:
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Don’t leave your bags unattended.
- Carry your purse or bag across your body and away from the sidewalk curb.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Vary your routes and times so as not to be predictable.
- If confronted by a criminal, surrender your purse or wallet.
- If actually attacked, make noise to draw attention.