Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following neighborhoods in Tbilisi, Georgia:
· Rustaveli Avenue from Rose Revolution Square to Freedom Square
· There is a strong possibility that the area from Philharmonic Concert Hall to Freedom Square will be closed to vehicles and open only for pedestrians until the rallies are over.
Event: Demonstrations expected to take place on Thursday, May 17, beginning at 10:00 am and lasting late into the evening. Multiple political groups/non-governmental organizations have planned political rallies/marches/gatherings, which are expected to draw large crowds, and last for most of the day into the late evening. They will have a significant impact on traffic and pedestrian movement in the area during that time.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid those areas during this period.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Tbilisi, Georgia
(995)(32) 227-7724 (M-F 8:30-5:30)
(995)(32) 227-7000 (after hours)
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Georgia Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter