The U.S. Embassy has received information that there will be a large peaceful gathering on Saturday, September 16, 2017, in Bujumbura. Coming from all directions, the participants will gather at the sports fields located at the intersection of Avenue du Large and Avenue de 13 Octobre (near Circle Nautique/Hippo Hole). The gathering may turn into a march, which would likely move towards Centre-Ville. The event is expected to cause traffic disruptions and/or road closures lasting until mid-day. RSO recommends avoiding large crowds and demonstrations, and carefully considering routes (and knowing alternate routes) when planning travel around the city.
These events are expected to be peaceful; nonetheless, even events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where the gatherings are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings -- including local events -- and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Burundi.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bujumbura, located at Avenue des Etats-Unis and Avenue du Cinquantenaire in Bujumbura, Burundi, by email at BujumburaC@state.gov, or at +257-22-20-7000 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +257-22-20-7318, or +257-79-93-8841.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.