U.S. Embassy Kingston alerts U.S. citizens to the presence of Category 5 Hurricane Irma affecting the Leeward Islands in the Caribbean. Although there are currently no coastal watches or warnings in effect for Jamaica or the Cayman Islands, the National Hurricane Center forecasts that Irma will remain a powerful storm throughout the week.
We advise U.S. citizens to monitor local and regional emergency management organizations for updates on the situation and for information on emergency preparedness, including the Jamaican Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management http://www.odpem.org.jm/ and the Cayman Islands National Emergency Website http://www.caymanprepared.gov.ky/.
The U.S. Embassy in Kingston is closely monitoring this situation, and strongly encourages U.S. citizens in Jamaica and the Cayman Island to do the same. Please share this message with other U.S. citizens who may not have received it.
For further information:
· See the Department of State’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Jamaica and the Cayman Island.
· Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· The U.S. Embassy in Jamaica is located at 142 Old Hope Road in the Liguanea area of Kingston, telephone (876) 702-6450, after hours emergency line at (876) 702-6000, and email at KingstonACS@state.gov. The U.S. Consular Agency in Montego Bay is located at Whitter Village, Ironshore, telephone (876) 953-0620, and email MobayACS@state.gov. The U.S. Consular Agency in the Cayman Islands is located at 202 B Smith Road Center, 150 Smith Road, George Town, telephone (345) 945-8173, and email at CaymanACS@state.gov.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to have travel information at your fingertips.