On Tuesday, September 5, 2017, the Democratic Republic of Congo’s soccer team will be playing against Tunisia. The match will take place at the Stade des Martyrs and is scheduled to begin at 1800. As a result of the match, there may be crowds on roads around the Stadium or at other points in Kinshasa.
Areas and roads which are typically affected include:
· Poids Lourds
· Blvd. Lumumba (Airport Road)
· Blvd. 30 Juin
· Blvd. Triomphal
· Ave. 24 Novembre
· Ave. Du Camp Militaire (Mercedes Circle)
However, please note that crowds can form throughout the city.
The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid large gatherings since even gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens should review the Travel Warning for the DRC and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for the DRC.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa, located at 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, at +243-081-225-5872 (Do not dial the zero when calling from abroad); the Consular Section at tel. +243-081-884-6859 or +243-081-884-4609 from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 081-556-0151.