The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria would like to inform all U.S. citizens of demonstrations organized by the Economic Freedom Fighters scheduled for Tuesday, August 8, 2017. In Pretoria, demonstrators will march from Church Square to the Union Buildings beginning at 10:00 a.m. In Johannesburg, demonstrators will march from Joubert Park to the Gauteng Premier’s office in the Central Business District. Expect road closures and traffic delays in all the affected areas.
U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for South Africa.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and U.S. Consulate Generals in Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban are located at the addresses below. The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria does not have a consular section and does not provide consular services to U.S. citizens.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.