The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens residing or traveling in Togo that Lomé will be hosting the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) Forum from August 8-11 at the hotel Radisson Blu. U.S. citizens should expect large crowds, traffic disruptions, and enhanced security throughout the city during this time.
Togolese security forces are expected to increase security checks in the vicinity of the AGOA Forum beginning July 26.
The primary area of Lomé that will be affected is the Boulevard de la Republique, from Boulevard du 13 Janvier to the Avenue de la Nouvelle Marche. This area constitutes the western half of the space inside the Circulaire, stretching down to the beach road.
- exercising caution and being aware of your surroundings;
- monitoring media and local news;
- being flexible with your travel plans;
- reporting specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities;
- enrolling in the Smart Traveler-Enrollment Program (STEP).
For further information: