Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Malabo (Equatorial Guinea), Upcoming Protest
Africa > Equatorial Guinea; Africa > Equatorial Guinea > Malabo
1. The U.S. Embassy in Malabo alerts U.S. citizens residing in Equatorial Guinea of an upcoming protest scheduled for June 19, 2017 at 7 am near the former PDGE headquarters. The protest should be peaceful; however, U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution if traveling near the protest location. Instances of unrest can occur without warning, endangering bystanders.
2. U.S. citizens should maintain a high level of security awareness of their surroundings and avoid crowds of any kind. Personal security plans should be reviewed; and U.S. citizens should monitor local news stations for updates.
3. For further information:
* We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Equatorial Guinea enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program<https://step.state.gov/step/#_blank> (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don't have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
* Regularly monitor the State Department's Consular Affairs website<http://travel.state.gov/#_blank>, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution. Read the Country Specific Information for Equatorial Guinea<http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/equatorial-guinea.html#_blank>. For additional information, refer to the "Traveler's Checklist<http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/checklist.html#_blank>." Contact the U.S. embassy for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747<tel:(888)%20407-4747> toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444<tel:(202)%20501-4444> from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Follow us on Twitter<http://twitter.com/#_blank> and Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/travelgov#_blank> to have travel information at your fingertips.
* The U.S. Embassy in Malabo<http://malabo.usembassy.gov/#_blank>'s location is on the Malabo II highway, between the headquarters of Sonagas and the United Nations. Regular business hours are Monday-Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy is +240 555 516 008<tel:+240%20555%20516%20008>.