On Thursday, May 25 at 1700, FC Copenhagen will play Brøndby IF in the Danish Cup Final in Parken Stadium, Østerbro. Danish authorities estimate the number of spectators to exceed 38,000 with an unknown number of fans in Fælledparken. Groups of fans are expected to rally throughout the city in the early afternoon and march to the stadium before game time. One estimated group of 10,000 Brøndby IF supporters are expected to gather at Kongens Nytorv at 1300 and walk past the Embassy on the way to the stadium at approximately 1400.
In the past, clashes have occurred between the fans of these two rival teams and with the authorities.
An increased police presence is expected in central Copenhagen and Østerbro from noon through the evening as well as increased pedestrian congestion between Østerport Station and Fælledparken. Streets and public transit may be overcrowded or blocked at various times.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Denmark Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Denmark, located at Dag Hammarskjolds Alle 24 in Copenhagen, at +3341-7100 or by email at CopenhagenACS@state.gov. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +3341-7400.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.