The U.S. Consulate General in Durban has received reports that a pro-ANC vigil will be held on Sunday, May 14, 2017, in the Durban City Hall at 2:00 p.m., and is expected to continue through the evening. The following day, on Monday, May 15, 2017, a pro-ANC demonstration is expected to take place in the Durban Central Business District (CBD) beginning at 7:00 a.m. The stated purpose of the ANC vigil and demonstration is to show party solidarity. An application has been made for 30,000 people to attend. President Zuma is expected to attend some of the proceedings.
2:00 p.m.: Prayer meeting will be held in the Durban City Hall and is expected to continue through the evening.
7:00 a.m.: Demonstrators will leave Durban City and proceed to King Dinizulu Gardens along Anton Lembede (Smith) Street where they will be joined by other protesters.
10:00 a.m.: Demonstrators will leave King Dinizulu Gardens and proceed to the Durban High Court along the following route: Dr. Pixlie kaSeme (West) Street, to Yusuf Dadoo (Broad) Street to Margret Mncadi (Victoria) Embankment.
12:00 p.m.: A memorandum will be delivered to a representative at the Durban High Court.
1:00 p.m.: Demonstrators are expected to disperse.
U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
For further information:
· See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for South Africa.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and U.S. Consulate Generals in Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban are located at the addresses below. The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria does not have a consular section and does not provide consular services to U.S. citizens.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
· United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
· United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
· United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
· United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)