The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that a demonstration may take place in Central Chisinau this weekend (May 6-7). The areas affected may include the Parliament building and surrounding area. Various groups plan to demonstrate. Please expect possible traffic delays and road closures around this time. Please remember that even demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Large public gatherings can affect all major incoming arteries to the city in which they occur. Demonstrations in one city have the potential to lead to additional public rallies or demonstrations in other locations around the city and country.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Moldova Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Moldova, located at 103 Str. Alexei Mateevici, at +373 22 408-300 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +373 22 237-345/408-445.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.