The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that there is currently a large protest being held in the vicinity of the national hospital. The demonstration started yesterday and recently turned violent. Today, protesters have started smashing out windows of vehicles in cars parked and cars driving through the area. Please avoid the area if at all possible.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including at local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Mauritania enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
For further information:
· See the State Department's website where you can find the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Mauritania Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Nouakchott, located between the Presidency building and the Spanish Embassy on Rue Abdallaye at tel. 45 25 26 60 Monday-Thursday from 8:00-5:00 and Friday 8:00-11:00 or by email at ConsularNKC@state.gov . If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy is 36 62 81 63.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.