U.S. Embassy Niamey informs U.S. citizens that demonstrations are expected to take place throughout Niger from April 10, 2017 to April 12, 2017. University and high school students are planning protests and marches country-wide. Protests are expected to disrupt traffic near the Kennedy Bridge and other areas of Niamey, and they may occur in other parts of the country as well.
Please remember, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Niger.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Niamey, Rue des Ambassades, Niamey, Niger, at +227-20-72-26-61, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and on Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +227-99-49-90-66.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.