U.S. Embassy Ankara informs U.S. citizens that various groups have announced that they will demonstrate in front of U.S. Embassy Ankara on Saturday, April 8, at 1:00 p.m. Another group announced it will meet in the Kizilay area of Ankara at 12:00p.m., and then will walk in a group to the U.S. Embassy. Embassy Ankara advises U.S. citizens to avoid these areas on Saturday, April 8, 2017.
Demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Other demonstrations or protests may happen at other times spontaneously. We advise U.S. citizens to avoid political gatherings, protests, and demonstrations and to exercise caution if you are in the vicinity of these kinds of events. Develop and review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, monitor local news stations for updates and follow local authority instructions.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is+90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Ucsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.