March 24, 2017
Although no known specific threats exist against U.S. interests in Morocco, the U.S. Embassy reminds our citizens to maintain a heightened sense of vigilance and awareness, noting potential reactions to U.S.-Morocco security cooperation and a recent incident involving a Moroccan citizen and a U.S. diplomat.
Here are few additional security practices you may utilize on a daily basis:
- Vary your times and routes to and from work. Schedules that are the most predictable leave you the most vulnerable. When possible, be unpredictable in both your work and social schedule.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep your vehicle and residence doors locked and windows closed.
- Check the interior and exterior of your vehicle prior to getting in. Look for things that are irregular or abnormal.
- Ensure that colleagues and family are aware of your daily plans.
- Maintain a low personal profile by not doing anything that draws attention to you.
- Be alert to what is going on around you.
- Ensure that your colleagues and family are aware of your daily plans and that they know how to reach you.
- Whenever possible, do not have a set day for shopping, errands, and personal needs. Be unpredictable.
- Never give out your personal information such as family member and household staff names, addresses, and telephone numbers in an open setting.
- In traffic, always attempt to leave space in which to maneuver. Always leave yourself an exit. Be prepared to take evasive action at any time.
- Try to avoid choke points in travel and be wary of diversions.
- If another driver follows or harasses you, try to find the nearest police station, hotel, or other public facility to call the police. Never lead the person back to your home or stop and get out.
- Ensure you brief all of your family members on security measures.
For further information:
- The U.S. Embassy in Rabat is located at KM 5.7, Avenue Mohammed VI, Souissi, Rabat and can be reached at 0537-63-72-00. Consular Services are located at the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca at 8 Blvd. Moulay Youssef. American Citizens Services can be reached at 0522-642-099 during business hours. For emergencies after hours, please call 0522-26-45-50 or 0661-13-19-39.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).