The U.S. Embassy in Bratislava informs U.S. citizens residing in Slovakia that three demonstrations will take place in Bratislava on March 11, 2017:
- The group organizing the “March to commemorate the First Slovak Republic” will march from 11:00am to 7:00pm and plans to pass through Hodzovo Square, Stefanikova, Suche Myto, Hurbanovo Square, SNP Square, Spitalska, Americke Square, Odborarske Square, Krizna, Trnavske Myto, Trnavska, Roznavska, Maximilana Hella, and end at Martinsky cemetery. Around 500 participants are expected to attend.
- A counter-demonstration opposing fascism will gather at 1:00pm at SNP Square (Namestie Slovenskeho narodneho povstania). More than a thousand people may attend. Both events (the march and counter-demonstration) have occurred in the past without incident.
- Other groups planning an additional anti-fascist demonstration will gather from 12:00pm to 4:00pm at Banskobystricka Street.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid demonstration areas, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, monitor local news stations for updates, and report specific incidences of targeted violence to the U.S. Embassy in Bratislava at the number below. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Slovakia located at Hviezdoslavovo namestie 4-5 in Bratislava, at +02 5443 0861, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +0903 703 666.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).