The U.S. Embassy in Tallinn informs U.S. citizens that two marches are scheduled for Friday 24 February in Tallinn.
- The first event is scheduled to begin at 3:00 pm and includes speeches in Tammsaare Park, and a march around Old Town. Its stated purpose is to demand the return of certain rights under the 1920 Constitution.
- The second event is scheduled to begin at 7:00pm and includes a march starting at Vabaduse väljak and going around and through Old Town. The stated purpose is an “Independence Day March for All Nationally Minded People.” Marchers are expected to carry torches.
Additionally, various groups attending the events may meet up at other venues in the area as part of their preparations.
There are also other public events scheduled to take place in the same areas in celebration of Estonian Independence Day, including an Independence Day Parade.
Even demonstrations or gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Estonia:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Country Specific Informationfor Estonia. For additional information, refer to the "Traveler's Checklist" on the State Department's website.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Estonia, located at Kentmanni 20, Tallinn at +372-668-8128,8:30 am - 5:30 pm Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +372 509-2129, or if there is no answer, please call +372-668-8169. Inquiries about American citizen services provided by the Embassy's Consular Section may be directed to ACSTallinn@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.