The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that demonstrations are expected to take place near the Parliament building on Rustaveli Avenue in Tbilisi beginning at 2:30pm on Sunday, February 19. The demonstrators will be demonstrating with the stated purpose of protesting against the proceedings related to the Rustavi 2 court case.
· Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Georgia:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Georgia Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Georgia, located at 11 George Balanchine Ave, Tbilisi, at + 995 32 227 7724, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +995 32 227 7000.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).