The U.S. Mission alerts U.S. citizens to a recent increase in criminal incidents involving westerners in Yaounde. Over the last weeks, the Mission has been notified of at least three separate incidents where persons have been robbed while walking on the streets in the Bastos area. No victims have been injured in any of these incidents.
In certain cases the victim had their belongings taken by someone riding on the back of a motorcycle while in other cases the victims were surrounded by a group of young adults and pushed to the ground and ordered to give up their valuables. Please take this opportunity to reassess your personal security and follow the guidance below.
The U.S. Mission recommends the following:
- Avoid walking alone on the streets. Walk in groups or travel by car whenever possible.
- Avoid traveling in isolated areas and park only in well-lit areas at night.
- Avoid leaving valuable items such as: backpacks, laptops, mobile phones, etc. in plain sight inside your vehicle.
- Have a cell phone and radio with you.
- Remain alert and be aware of your surroundings. Avoid wearing earbuds or headphones while walking.
- Lock your vehicle doors immediately upon entering.
- Avoid crowded places and demonstrations.
- Be especially cautious when entering/leaving restaurants, bars and clubs at night.
If you are the victim of a crime:
- Be compliant. Do not fight back.
- If possible, seek shelter in a public establishment.
- Seek assistance from police/gendarmes.
For further information: