The U.S Consulate General in Chennai cautions U.S. citizens that Cyclone Vardah is expected to make landfall near Chennai, between Mahabalipuram and Nellore, tomorrow afternoon on Monday, December 12 and then weaken. Expect extremely high winds, dangerous storm tides, heavy rainfall, and possible flooding to occur.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
Note that the U.S. Consulate General in Chennai will be closed on Monday, December 12 in observance of Milad-un-Nabi, a local holiday.
For further information about security in India:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler-Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate General Chennai in India located at 220 Anna Salai, Chennai, India at +91-44-2857-4000 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +91-44-2857-4000.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook