The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai will continue to operate with reduced staffing on December 7, 2016, and has temporarily suspended appointments for routine services to U.S. citizens and visa applicants. Applicants whose appointments are canceled will be notified by e-mail and provided a link to reschedule. The Consulate plans to resume routine services on Thursday, December 8, 2016.
U.S. citizens requiring emergency services may contact the Consulate at +91-44-2857-4000. Should you be unable to get through to this phone number, you can direct your request for emergency services to the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi at +91-11-2419-8000.
While there is a large police presence in Chennai, the possibility of sporadic violence remains. Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
U.S. citizens are reminded that even gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in India:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler-Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate General Chennai in India located at 220 Anna Salai, Chennai, India at +91-44-2857-4000 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +91-44-2857-4000.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook