The U.S. Embassy has received reports of scattered protests and gunfire in Bangui, including barricades on several streets. Taxis and taxi-motorcycles are not available in most parts of the city. Additionally, a demonstration demanding the departure of MINUSCA from the Central African Republic was called for today. MINUSCA has ordered its staff to stay at home and has restricted movements. The Embassy advises American citizens to avoid non-essential movements and any areas where crowds have gathered.
U.S. citizens who have decided to stay in the Central African Republic (CAR) despite the Travel Warning should regularly review their personal security situation. Embassy Bangui cannot provide consular services to U.S. citizens in CAR at this time. U.S. citizens in need of assistance should contact the U.S. Embassy in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for CAR.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Cameroon, located at Avenue Rosa Parks in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mount Febe Golf Club, is open 8 am to 5pm, and can be reached from a mobile phone at 00-237-22220-1500 ext. 4341/4023; from a landline dial 00-237-2220-1500. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance after hours, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy/Consulate is 00-237-22220-1500 ext. 4531 from a mobile phone, or 00-237-2220-1500 from a landline. Please note that due to local connectivity issues, not all mobile providers may work at all times. If you cannot get through, please try another service provider.
· The Embassy can also be contacted via e-mail by U.S. citizens at email@example.com.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 00-1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).