Earlier today a person fired shots on the street in front of the U.S. Embassy and into the compound, striking a vehicle. The active shooter situation has been resolved and it is now safe to resume travel in front of the U.S. Embassy along Kenneth Kaunda Avenue and Zimbabwe Avenue.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Mozambique Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Maputo, located at 193, Avenida Kenneth Kaunda, at (+258) 21-49-2797, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+258) 84-306-6480.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.