· Montevideo, Uruguay
· Buenos Aires, Argentina
· Iguazu, Misiones Province, Argentina
Event: The National Ministry of Health in Argentina has confirmed a case of measles in a Russian tourist visiting the Cities of Buenos Aires, Iguazu (Misiones Province, Argentina), and Montevideo. They advise anyone who may have been exposed to the ill individual, and who is experiencing fever and a skin rash, to seek immediate medical attention. The highest risk of transmission was the period from March 13 through March 21, 2019. Individuals may have been exposed on the following travel itineraries:
· March 14: ANDES 570 flight from Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu
· March 16: ANDES 571 flight from Puerto Iguazu to Buenos Aires
· March 17: Buquebus Buenos Aires to Montevideo departing at 6:38am
· March 17: Buquebus Montevideo to Buenos Aires departing at 9:34pm
On April 11, 2019, the Uruguayan Ministry of Public Health confirmed the first case of measles in Uruguay. Please see the Ministry of Health’s website for additional information and recommended actions.
Additional actions to consider: Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travelers Health Page. Consult the CDC for country health advisories or call CDC at 800-232-4636 or 404-639-3534.
Assistance: Contact the U.S. Embassy in Uruguay, located at Lauro Müller 1776, Montevideo, Uruguay, at (+598 2) 1770-2000 or emailMontevideoACS@state.gov. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+598 2) 1770-2000. Visit our website at https://uy.usembassy.gov/.
Uruguay Country Information
The U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina can be reached at (54-11) 5777‑4533 or (54-11) 5777-4354 (after hours), and by email at BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov. Visit their website at: https://ar.usembassy.gov/.
Argentina Country Information
· For the State Department – Consular Affairs, call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1‑202‑501‑4444 from other countries between 8:00am and 8:00pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive message updates.
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.