Location: Three separate locations within Cusco – Tika Tika, Penal Qenqoro, and Tupac Amaru Plaza.
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place on February 11 and February 12, 2019, beginning at 12:00 pm. The Junta de Usuarios de Agua citizens’ association plans to protest the recent construction of a hotel by an international hospitality company as well as the use of genetically modified products.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the Tika Tika, Penal Qenqoro (Instituto Nacional Penitenciario, or INPE), and Tupac Amaru Plaza areas.
- Monitor the Embassy webpage and the American Citizen Services (ACS) Facebook page for updates.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Do not participate or resist if you come in contact with protesters.
- Keep friends and family informed of your safety.
- Use extra caution when walking or hiking outside Cusco or at night.
U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru:
Avenida La Encalada Cdra. 17 s/n
Surco, Lima 33, Peru
Telephone (answered 24 hours): +51-1-618-2000
Lima ACS Facebook page
U.S. Consular Agency, Cusco
Avenida El Sol 449 Office #201
Phone: +51 84 231-474
Fax: +51 84 245-102
State Department - Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Peru Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter