Location: Jamaica and the Cayman Islands
Event: As of September 11, Tropical Storm Isaac is on a westward path towards the Caribbean. The National Hurricane Center forecasts that Isaac will reach the Lesser Antilles at near-hurricane strength on the night of September 12 and into the early morning hours of September 13. It should then continue towards parts of the Dominican Republic and Haiti over the weekend. Expect heavy rains and strong winds with possible flooding, landslides, power outages and difficult travel conditions. Expect increased rainfall levels and winds throughout the country.
Actions to Take:
· Reconsider travel to Jamaica and the Cayman Islands until the storm has dissipated.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
· Visit the National Hurricane Center (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/) for updated storm tracking information.
· U.S. Embassy Kingston, Jamaica
· U.S. Consular Agency Montego Bay
· U.S. Consular Agency Cayman Islands
· State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
· Jamaica Country Information
· Cayman Island Country Information
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook