Location: Expected gathering points include The Arch of Galerius (Kamara), Aristotle Square, Venizelos statue, the University campus, the White Tower, and the Thessaloniki International Fair grounds (International Exhibition and Congress Center).
Event: Large demonstrations with numbers in the tens of thousands are expected in Thessaloniki during the Thessaloniki International Fair (TIF) September 7-16. Larger than usual demonstrations are expected to occur in Thessaloniki during the TIF because of the current political climate.
U.S. government personnel have been informed of the following:
Significant demonstrations have occurred in previous years during the TIF. Although most demonstrations are peaceful, violent protestors may infiltrate peaceful demonstrations, resulting in clashes with riot police and causing road closures that can severely impact traffic. Radical groups in the past have used arson, gas canister attacks, and Molotov cocktails.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the area of the demonstration.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Carry a copy of photo identification with you at all times.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Keep a low profile.
· U.S. Embassy Athens
+(30) 210-720-2490 (after hours)
· U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki
· Greece Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter