Location: Lusaka, with possible demonstrations countrywide
Political rallies or demonstrations may occur without significant notice throughout Zambia, particularly in the lead up to the Lusaka mayoral election on July 26, 2018, and in the days immediately following the contest.
Actions to Take:
U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Peaceful gatherings may also lead to significant traffic congestion and road closures. Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates on political rallies and traffic disruptions. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Advisories, and Zambia Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Zambia located on Ibex Hill, at 0211-357-000 or via email at ACSLusaka@state.gov.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.