Exercise normal precautions in Benin. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Urban areas due to crime.
- Beaches due to crime
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Benin:
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Keep a low profile.
- Travel in groups when visiting beaches to reduce the risk of robbery.
- Avoid travel between cities at night.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Benin.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Violent crime, such as armed robbery, and assault, is common. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious crimes.
Violent crime, such as muggings, is common at beaches within Cotonou at any time of day and outside of Cotonou after dark.