Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Event: Demonstrations organized by the Inter-University Student Federation are planned to take place today. Approximately 1000-1500 protestors are expected to assemble at Albert Crescent in Colombo 7 at 12:30pm, and then march to the Fort Railway Station.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Keep a low profile.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Carry proper identification at all times.
· U.S. Embassy - Colombo, Sri Lanka
+94 11 249-8500 Phone
+94 077-725-6307 Phone (after hours)
· State Department - Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Sri Lanka Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
A protest is taking place today at 1230 at Albert Crescent in Colombo 7, possibly to march to Fort Railway Station. Avoid area of demonstrations; expect heavy police presence & traffic congestion-US Embassy, February 21@12:15.
For further information about security in Sri Lanka:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Sri Lanka Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Sri Lanka, located at 210 Galle Road, at +94(11)249-8500, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +94(77)725-6307.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).