Location: Awkar Square, Dbayeh, Lebanon
Event: A demonstration is expected to take place on February 5, 2018 beginning at 12:00pm near Awkar Square. The group intends to protest the situation in Afrin, Syria. The following road closure in Awkar will require traffic to avoid the protest: Awkar Square / Circle and the road between The Village and Haddad Company will be closed at 11:00am.
The U.S. Embassy has not changed our security posture, but we are monitoring the situation closely. Appointments for American Citizens Services have been canceled for Monday, February 5, 2018. Non-immigrant and immigrant visa appointments have not been affected.
Actions to take:
* Avoid the area of the demonstration.
* Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
* Review your personal security plans.
* Remain aware of your surroundings - including at local events.
* Monitor local news for updates.
* Follow the instructions of local authorities.
* U.S. Embassy Beirut, Lebanon
o (961) (4) 542600 or (961) (4) 543600
* State Department - Consular Affairs
o 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
For further detailed information regarding travel and security in Lebanon:
* Visit the State Department's travel website Travel.State.Gov<https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en.html> to review the Travel Warning for Lebanon<https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/lebanon-travel-warning.html>, Country-Specific Information for Lebanon<https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/lebanon.html>, and the Worldwide Caution<https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/worldwide-caution.html>.
* Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)<https://step.state.gov/step/> to receive the latest security updates and make it easier for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in an emergency.
* Follow the U.S. Embassy in Beirut on Twitter<https://twitter.com/usembassybeirut> and Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/USEmbassyBeirut>.