Exercise normal precautions in Benin. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise increased caution in:
- Urban areas due to crime.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Benin:
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Exercise caution visiting beaches. Travel in groups to reduce the risk of robbery.
- Avoid travel between cities at night.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Benin.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Violent crime, such as armed robbery and assault, is common. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious crimes.