The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to postpone or cancel unnecessary travel to mainland Honduras due to ongoing political protests and the potential for violence. There is an increase in demonstrations and disruptions as a result of an election dispute. The Bay Islands of Honduras (Roatan, Utila, and Guanaja) are not significantly impacted at this time. Though current demonstrations have largely remained peaceful, demonstrations can be volatile and dangerous, and have included rock throwing, assaults, and tire burning. Moreover, rioting and looting have occurred in many cities throughout Honduras. Road closures result in extreme traffic delays, thereby possibly limiting access to airports throughout mainland Honduras. This Travel Alert expires on December 31, 2017.
As of December 5 and through Monday, December 11, 2017, the Honduran government is imposing a curfew from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. on most of mainland Honduras. There is no curfew in effect on the Bay Islands and the mainland cities of Tela, Trujillo, and Copan Ruinas. We advise U.S. citizens to observe local law enforcement requirements and remain inside during restricted hours.
U.S. citizens are reminded that large public gatherings may become unruly or violent quickly. U.S. citizens in Honduras should take extra precautions and follow instructions issued by local officials.
- Avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings.
- Have a communications plan that does not rely solely on cellular data.
- If you cannot postpone or delay travel within Honduras, avoid crowds and remain alert when traveling in the country.
- Contact your airline for the latest information regarding flights to and from Honduras.
- Monitor media and local information sources regarding protest-related developments, and have flexible plans for personal travel and activities.
- Report specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities.
- Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
For further information: