Tshwane Metro Police announced that the National Taxi Alliances have a permit approved for 10,000 people to march on Wednesday, November 08, 2017. The planned route of the march is from the Old Putco Depot in Marabastad, to the Department of Transport (corner of Struben and Bosman), then to the Union Building (Struben – Nelson Mandela – Madiba), and then back to the Old Putco Depot. The protestors plan to gather at 9:00am and march until 2:00pm. The march could severely impact traffic in the Pretoria Central Business District and Hatfield.
Tshwane Metro Police officers will be deployed to monitor the march route. Tshwane Metro advises motorists to avoid the listed streets and use alternative routes.
U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for South Africa.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and U.S. Consulate Generals in Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban are located at the addresses below. The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria does not have a consular section and does not provide consular services to U.S. citizens.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.