The U.S. Consulate General in Merida cautions U.S. citizens that Tropical Storm Nate is expected to continue moving towards the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. The Mexican Metrological Service has issued a Hurricane Watch for the coast of Mexico from Punta Herrero, Quintana Roo to Rio Lagartos, Yucatan. Tropical Storm Nate is expected to produce rainfall amounts of 4 to 8 inches with isolated maximum amounts of 12 inches over the Mexican states of Quintana Roo and Yucatan through Saturday, October 7. This rainfall could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides. Swells generated by Nate are also likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website (http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx), follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to also visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
· Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
· Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go”: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/natural-disasters/HurricaneSeason.html
· National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
· See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Merida, located at Calle 60 #338K por 29 y 31, Colonia Alcala Martin, Merida, Yucatan, 97050, and is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
· You may also call 011-52-999-942-5700 during normal business hours and after-hours.
· Contact information for the U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U.S. Embassy Mexico City website.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.