The U.S. Mission in Morocco informs U.S. citizens in Morocco of several planned demonstrations or large crowd gatherings expected to occur throughout the country in the month of October including:
- Parliament Building in Rabat: Sit-in scheduled at 10:00 a.m. on October 5, 2017 organized to protest teacher salary levels. (Demonstration is expected to move from Parliament Building to the Ministry of Education).
- Parliament Building in Rabat: Sit-in scheduled at 6:00 p.m. on October 5, 2017 organized by Hirak Branch in Rabat in solidarity with the Hirak detainees.
- Mohammed V Stadium in Casablanca: World Cup Elimination Match between Morocco and Gabon scheduled at 8:00 p.m. on October 7, 2017 with expected crowd levels in excess of 40,000 attendees.
- Ennaser Square in Casablanca: A National rally and protest scheduled on October 8, 2017 organized in solidarity with Rif detainees.
- Ministry of Health in Rabat: Sit-in scheduled at 10:00 a.m. on October 16, 2017 to protest doctor salary levels.
U.S. Citizens should avoid the area, maintain a high level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and monitor local news stations for updates.
These protests are not directed at the U.S. government nor individual U.S. citizens. However, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information: