The U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana cautions U.S. citizens that, as of 7:00 a.m Pacific Time, the National Hurricane Center is extending advisories for Tropical Storm Norma. There are no coastal watches in effect as of this time, but interests in Baja California Sur should monitor the progress of the storm. Swells generated by Norma will begin affecting portions of the coast of southwestern Mexico and Baja California Sur this weekend. These swells are likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions. Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 65 mph (100 km/h) with higher gusts. A Hurricane Watch or Tropical Storm Watch could be required later today for portions of the peninsula. Additional strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours, and Norma is expected to become a hurricane by tonight.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports and the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
· Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
· Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go:” http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/natural-disasters/HurricaneSeason.html
· National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate Tijuana, located at Paseo De Las Culturas S/N, Mesa de Otay, 22425 Tijuana, B.C., Mexico, Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
- You may also call 011-52-664-977-2000 during normal business hours and after-hours.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.