The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens of the potential for demonstrations located around the Parliament Building in the city of Tirana on September 9, 2017, around 16:00. Traffic patterns may be affected. Please monitor media reports and adjust plans as needed.
The U.S. Embassy is not aware of any specific threats against U.S. citizens or interests.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that even demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Large public gatherings can affect all major incoming arteries to the city in which they occur. Demonstrations in one city have the potential to lead to additional public rallies or demonstrations in other locations around the city and country.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities
U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
For further information:
· See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Albania’s Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Albania, located at Rruga Elbasanit Nr. 103, at +355-(0)-4224-7285, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +355-(0)-4224-7285.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.