As we approach Christmas and New Year’s please be reminded that there is a threat to public areas as described below. We strongly urge you to take personal responsibility for your security and consider carefully before spending time in public places or in areas with large crowds.
The U.S. Mission reminds all U.S. citizens to exercise caution in and around shopping centers, malls, markets, hotels, places of worship, restaurants, bars, and other places where crowds gather in and around the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Terrorist groups have historically carried out successful attacks during the holidays. This year they have threatened to conduct bombings and attacks in the FCT from now through New Year’s.
The U.S. Mission remains concerned about potential attacks in the states of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, and Yobe. Travelers are urged to avoid those states through the end of the year.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information on security in Nigeria:
- See the State Department's travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Alerts, Travel Warning for Nigeria, and Nigeria Country-Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Abuja, located at Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area, at +234 (9) 461-4000, Monday - Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 (9) 461-4000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, located 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, at +234 (1) 460-3400, Monday - Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 803-402-2405.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).