The U.S. Consulate General Matamoros cautions U.S. citizens that the National Hurricane Center along with the Mexican Meteorological Service issued a Tropical Storm Watch for northeastern Tamaulipas, including the cities of Matamoros and San Fernando. Tropical Storm Harvey is expected to strengthen and make landfall as a hurricane near Baffin Bay, Texas the evening of Friday, August 25. Tropical storm conditions are expected in Tamaulipas beginning early Friday morning, with the strongest conditions occurring during the day. A Hurricane Warning has been issued for portions of coastal Texas. Tropical Storm Harvey is expected to create extremely high winds, dangerous storm tides, heavy rainfall, and possible life-threatening flooding.
The U.S. Consulate General Matamoros will be open on Friday, August 25 for emergency services only.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are also encouraged to visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
·Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
·Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go:”
·National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General Matamoros, located at Calle Primera 2002, Jardín, 87330 Matamoros, Tamps., Mexico, and is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- You may also call 011-52- 868 812 4402 during normal business hours and after-hours.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.