The U.S. Consulate General in Merida cautions U.S. citizens that Tropical Cyclone 7 is expected to strengthen and should move over the Yucatan Peninsula by the evening of Monday, August 7. The Government of Mexico has issued a Tropical Storm Warning from Chetumal northward and around the Yucatan Peninsula to Campeche. Maximum sustained winds are near 35 mph (55 km/h) with higher gusts. Some strengthening is expected, and the cyclone is forecast to become a tropical storm before making landfall in Mexico. The cyclone is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 3 to 6 inches with isolated amounts of around 12 inches over the Yucatan Peninsula through Wednesday. These rains could result in life-threatening flash floods.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to also visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
- Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
- Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go:” http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/natural-disasters/HurricaneSeason.html
- National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Merida, located at Calle 60 #338K, por 29 y 31, Colonia Alcala Martin C.P. 9705. and is open Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- You may also call 011-52-55-5080-2000 during normal business hours and after-hours.
- Contact information for the U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U.S. Embassy Mexico City website.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.